Hot Life Science Investor Mandate 5: South American Corporate VC Interested in Orphan Drugs

26 Nov

A strategic investment fund formed by a South America-based pharma company is seeking to invest in biotech companies.  For early-stage opportunities the fund typically makes equity investments and may syndicate with other investors, whereas for clinical-stage opportunities the fund is more likely to form strategic partnerships that involve rights to an asset.  The fund is open to considering therapeutic opportunities globally, but only if the company is pursuing the US market.

The fund invests in therapeutics; about 80% of the firm’s investments are in clinical-stage assets, with a preference for companies with some human proof-of-concept data; the remaining 20% of investments are made in preclinical opportunities.  Drug-device combinations will also be considered, but not diagnostics.  The firm will invest in both small and large molecules, and has a strong preference for investing in orphan drugs and other niche disease areas.  It is preferred that indications have validated clinical endpoints and can be studied using small trials.  Indications that require large clinical trials, including as cardiovascular diseases and primary care indications (such as influenza) will not be considered.

If you are interested in more information about this investor and other investors tracked by LSN, please email mandates@lifesciencenation.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: